Monday 15 February 2010

Manipulating Everyday Objects-は日用品を巧みに操作し


Sometimes there is so much pretentious confusion in the world of art and this often means the message that is trying to be conveyed and the true quality of a piece of work is lost amongst it. I also think that this, in part, is a reason why people shy away from showing an appreciation of art, especially when first starting out. You can find yourself being involved in an elaborate conversation about a piece of art where others around you feel that to 'truly' appreciate the work you have to try and find a deeper meaning and to comprehend this meaning they need to study and debate the artist's frame of mind, cultural persuasions and take the art beyond what it is. I have to admit that I find this side of the art world pompus annoying and am glad that artists like Banksyare breaking this mindset. Within his work there are some statements of modern culture and politics that show through at a very basic level. I think that this is where Banksy's popularity lies, in his direct and uncondescending connection with the viewing public. Of course there will be those who still feel the need to be accepted into this 'artsy' world and leave a wake of others feeling belittled by their conversation, which is a shame. I prefer to not talk gobbledygook just to impress and I am happy to appreciate the work for the emotions it creates within me, the thoughts it provokes and the visual and sensual stimulation I gain.

Yuken Teruya is a refreshing artists where this does not apply and I admire his work because of it's simplicity. The statement is also very clear but gentle and serene. It doesn't need to be shouted at you and cannot be over debated, it is what it is. Teruyas work has so much strength in conveying an important message so quietly and also it is gentle enough to allow you to reflect.

'He manipulates everyday objects, transforming their meaning to reflect on contemporary society and culture. Cutting trees out of paper bags and from cardboard toilets paper rolls he creates meticulous and intricate art works, small and enchanting worlds which relate to broader concerns.'

It's as simple as that, and with this simplicity and ease of understanding the appeal can reach a wider scope of viewers. It is not confined to those who like to have a deep discussion about hidden meanings in art, it's about interacting with you and I on a level which we understand. I don't feel stupid viewing his work, I don't feel like I missing the true meaning, I understand it and it makes me think. I also like how clever it is and that from rubbish that has been dropped in the street, found on a coffee table or thrown out of a house, Teruya created something that emits such a tranquil feeling. It is symbolic of what originally occurred, it becomes more than just a discarded bag that once held a McDonalds 'Happy Meal' it changes into a story that shows the journey that was required for the natural material to be transformed into a usable entity.


There is such beauty in the intricate detailing of Teryua's work, the 3D effect created by the small cuts, the small world that has been created inside a small bag. It is microscopic origami which is stunning. Teryua is still a young artists and I think there is a lot more to see from him and the more rubbish that is thrown away the larger his supply of art material becomes, so I am looking forward to seeing where his journey takes him.



No comments:

Post a Comment